Besan ki Barfi, is a famous Indian Sweet. It is prepared with besan (gram flour), ghee (clarified butter) and sugar.
Sweets are an integral part of the Indian culture. Be it any occasion or celebration, sweets are always made. Most Indian homes still prefer, homemade sweets on such occasions. Either they make sweets themselves or keep halwais (specialty cook for Indian sweets).
Besan ki barfi, is one such sweet that has been in our culture since ages. Its simple ingredients make it an easy and very delicious homemade dessert. However, the ingredients might be simple but the steps to make it are not that easy. It does take some time and a lot of practice to make a perfect besan ki barfi.
The besan ki barfi recipe is almost same everywhere. The steps to make besan ki barfi are also by and large same. The important thing here is, that the steps have to be done carefully and perfectly to get that yummy Besan barfi on your plate. And this, definitely comes through practice.
I have tried making Besan ki barfi many times, before I could get it perfect. And no, I am not at all discouraging you. You must make this Indian sweet, besan barfi. It is amazing and you can get it right in the first attempt too.
And for that, after learning from my experiences, I have given a detailed besan barfi recipe, with video and pictures too, here in my blog. Do try to follow the recipe exactly with the timings mentioned. I am sure, you will get a wonderful result with it.
Some of my simple and easy recipes :-
Steps to make BESAN KI BARFI
1. Roasting the Besan (gram flour) –
a) Roasting – This is an important step in making besan ki barfi. The besan (gram flour) has to be roasted properly. If it is under roasted then it will leave a very bad uncooked taste in the barfi. And if its, over cooked then it will give a burnt taste in the besan barfi. The gram flour is a very fine powder. It is to be roasted on very low flame, while stirring it continuously. You can’t just leave it on the flame and go away even for a while. Yes, it needs a lot of patience to make besan ki barfi.
b) Aroma – Now, as the gram flour gets roasted, it gives out a nutty aroma. You will notice the slight change in the aroma as well, when you are roasting the gram flour for besan barfi.
c) Colour – The color of the besan (gram flour) will change as it gets roasted. In this besan ki barfi recipe, we have to roast the besan to a golden yellow color. Now, it’ll be just a matter of seconds for the besan to turn from the golden yellow color to dark brown color. We don’t want that color. It will mean that the besan has got burnt. So be very careful and keep stirring the besan continuosly.
2. Ghee (Clarified butter) – Besan ki barfi is essentially made in desi ghee (clarified butter) only. But if you don’t have it then you may use refined oil or butter, but then the taste of the besan barfi will definitely be compromised.
3. Sugar syrup – For sweetness, sugar syrup is added in the roasted besan (gram flour). Some make one string sugar syrup for it and some make two string sugar syrup. It largely depends on the besan ki barfi recipe that you are following. So, for this, I would suggest, stick to the recipe you are following and mainly its procedure too.
INGREDIENTS for Besan Ki Barfi
- Besan (gram flour) – 2 cup
- Desi ghee (clarified butter) – 2/3 cup
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Water – ½ cup
- Cardamom powder – 1 tsp
- Haldi (turmeric powder) – a pinch
1. Keep a thick bottom pan /kadhai (wok) on flame. Let the flame be low.
2. Add besan (gram flour).
3. Start roasting the besan (gram flour) on low flame.
4. After roasting it for about 2 min, add desi ghee (clarified butter). Add the desi ghee in batches and not all at once. So, add, 1/3 part of complete desi ghee (clarified butter).
5. Keep roasting the besan (gram flour).
6.After about 5 min of roasting, add next 1/3 part of desi ghee (clarified butter).
7. Mix nicely and keep roasting by stirring continuously for next 5 min.
8. Now, add in the last 1/3 part of desi ghee (clarified butter) and mix. Keep roasting the flour.
9. By now, the besan will start changing the colour slowly. You must be careful to keep stirring the besan (gram flour).
10. The besan (gram flour) and ghee mixture will look runny but that’s okay. The besan (gram flour) gets roasted and start leaving some ghee too.
11. Add a pinch of haldi (turmeric powder). It is totally optional. I add this to get a little good yellow color of the besan ki barfi , just like those in market. You can add yellow food color also or no color at all.
12. Once you see that the colour of the roasted besan (gram flour), is nice golden yellow, then you need to switch off the flame and bring the pan on a cooler surface. In total, I roasted the besan (gram flour) for about 20 – 25 min on low heat. You may take a little less or more time than this, depending upon the quality of your besan (gram flour).
13. But remember to keep stirring the besan (gram flour) even after you have taken it off the flame, as the pan and flour both are still hot. And the moment you’ll stop stirring them, the flour will start to burn and very quickly will turn to a dark brown colour, which we do not want.
14. For sugar syrup, add sugar and water to a deep bottom pan and mix them nicely. The idea here is to start the process of dissolving sugar in water before we keep the pan on the heat.
15. Now, on a medium heat, cook the sugar and water solution. Add cardamom powder and bring it to a boil and then cook for about 6-7 min. on medium low flame. This is important. We don’t want too thick sugar syrup for this besan ki barfi recipe. As it will lead to a hard barfi. And if the sugar syrup is too thin, then the barfi will not set properly.
16. You can even check the consistency of the sugar syrup between your thumb and index finger. The consistency should be sticky, like just before one string consistency.
17. Now, the roasted besan (gram flour), and sugar syrup both, should be little warm when you mix them together. This is important.
18. After adding the sugar syrup, mix them quickly and nicely.
19. Pour this mixture, in a greased pan and level it with a spoon or spatula.
20. Add some finely chopped pistachios (pista) on the top and press them lightly into the barfi.
21. Keep it aside, till it sets hard.
22. Once set, cut the besan barfi into small pieces.
23. Enjoy the easy homemade Besan ki Barfi.