Brownie is simply a chocolate dessert with lots of chocolate and less flour. It is fudgy and gooey from the center with crackled top. It can be cakey also as many people don’t like it too chewy. Therefore, brownie recipe differs as per its taste. And as the recipe differs, so does the ratio of its basic ingredients.
Brownie is a great hit in our home. It always finishes in the baking tin only and never gets to reach the plate. I wanted to make some since long. Kids were longing to get a yummy sweet treat. But there was no butter in my home. Well these are lock down times and I can’t complain about things finishing up. I just have to adjust the recipe and try something that would come close to the taste and texture of a brownie. So, I experimented with easily available ingredients at home. Honestly, I wasn’t very sure of the outcome. But I still tried. And boy, I was so pleased and glad that I did try! It came out great. It was fudgy, had cracks on the top and was chocolatey. This was by far the best chocolate brownie recipe that I have ever tried. Also, very easy too.
Brownie can also be called a type of cake. It is just that it doesn’t rise like a cake. There are many cake recipes based on chocolates. You can view some simple yet delicious cake recipes here;
- Chocolate Sponge Cake Recipe, Cake Recipe. ( Simple and easy cake Recipe)
- Eggless chocolate cake, eggless cake without oven, simple cake recipe ( Best method)
TYPES OF BROWNIE
The basic ingredients of brownie don’t ever change. Their ratio however changes according to the texture you want. There are basically two types of brownies. They are:-
1. FUDGY – Fudgy brownie, as the name suggests is fudgy and gooey in the centre. It has more chocolate and less flour. It can be made with eggs or eggless too. The top has nice cracks on it and looks dry.
2. CAKEY – Cakey brownie, is more like a cake. It is not very gooey and dense. It is lighter as compared to the fudgy. In this, the ratio of flour increases. The top however, is nice and dry and get few cracks too
BASIC INGREDIENTS OF THE BROWNIE
There are 5 basic ingredients ;
1. Chocolate – Yes, brownie is essentially a chocolate sweet treat. It has to have chocolate and that too in a good amount. But the amount of chocolate depends upon the brownie being cakey or fudgy. The chocolate used is essentially the dark chocolate. Some prefer to use milk or even white compound.
2.Butter – Butter again is an important ingredient. It is more in quantity in a fudgy brownie than in a cakey brownie. You may use salted butter or unsalted butter. Some even use homemade white butter.
3. Flour – The flour used is refined flour. The quantity of flour in brownie recipe, makes it fudgy or cakey. To go on a healthier side, many people use whole wheat flour or even ragi flour.
4. Sugar – Without sweetness of the sugar, the sweet treat of brownie is definitely not complete. Sugar is added but can be reduced a bit to adjust the sweetness. One can even try the alternative sweeteners like stevia, jaggery etc.
5. Eggs – Eggs bring the natural lightness in the brownie. But in eggless brownie recipe the eggs need to be replaced with other ingredients. Generally, eggs are replaced with thick curd.
6. Extra ingredients – There are some extra ingredients that we add in the brownie to just enhance its flavour. Such as roasted nuts. You can take nuts of your choice like walnuts, cashews etc. They are to be roasted and then chopped and added in the brownie batter.
7. Baking Powder – Baking powder is not a necessary ingredient. It is added only in the cakey type of brownies to make them light and little airy.
Eggless Brownie Recipe video
There are many ways of serving brownie
Plain Brownie – This is the most classic way of serving brownie. Served just as is. It is so chocolatey and fudgy, that it is a complete dessert in itself.
Sizzling hot brownie with Ice cream – This is the most favoured way of serving brownie these days. The brownie is served sizzling hot in a platter, with some chocolate sauce and cold Ice cream.
Brownie with cream – Many prefer to eat brownie with cream on top. This goes well if the brownie is cakey in texture.
Brownie with chocolate syrup – Brownies are also eaten with chocolate sauce on top.
Basically, fudgy or cakey, you can eat brownie with whatever you like. It is a great dessert and like all desserts it needs to be enjoyed as you please.
The brownie recipe that I tried , had no butter and no eggs. I made it with very easily available ingredients at my home. Everyone will easily get these ingredients at their homes too. I used mixed flour in my easy brownie recipe. I made it with malai (homemade milk fat) and dahi (curd). Yes you heard it right!! Aren’t they just always at our home.
MALAI – Malai, is a milk fat collected at home after heating the milk. When milk is heated, the fat present in the milk rises on the top and settles there as a layer. Once cooled down, the milk is kept in the fridge. This helps in setting the fat layer nice and thick. Later the fat layer, called as malai, can be collected and stored in a separate box in fridge, for further use. Malai, is most commonly used in Indian homes for making white butter or desi ghee (clarified butter). For this brownie recipe, we will need thick malai.
FLOUR – The flour used in this brownie recipe is a mix of two flours. Whole wheat flour and refined flour. Mostly brownies and cakes use refined flour. At some places a ready-to -use cake flour is also available. But in search of healthier recipes, I generally mix or replace refined flour with whole wheat flour. In this I have taken 1:1 whole wheat flour and refined flour. You can use a mix of these flours or any one flour too.
SUGAR – In this brownie we will use powdered sugar. Powdered sugar dissolves easily and quickly in the batter. It makes it easy to bring the batter together quickly. So I would recommend powdered sugar only. If you do not have it at home, then you can easily powder it at home with a grinder.
CURD – We will use curd in this brownie recipe as it is eggless recipe. Curd is a great substitute for eggless baking. If you want to make it with egg, you may use 1 big egg instead of curd. For this brownie recipe, we need thick curd. But please do not use hung curd.
DARK CHOCOLATE – I have used dark chocolate compound for this brownie recipe. You can either use this or choco chips also. Choco chips are already small in size, so many prefer to use them as it saves the time for chopping of dark chocolate compound.
INGREDIENTS of eggless brownie recipe
- Dark chocolate compound – 100 gms
- Malai (milk fat homemade) – ¾ cup
- Powdered sugar – 2/3 cup
- Curd – 1/3 cup
- Vanilla essence – ½ tsp
- Whole-wheat flour – ½ cup
- Refined flour – ½ cup
- Baking powder – a pinch (optional)
1. Chop the dark chocolate compound into small pieces.
2. Heat the malai (milk fat). Do not boil. Just heat nicely.
3. Add this malai to the chopped dark chocolate pieces. It is important that the chocolate pieces are not very thick otherwise chocolate will not melt properly leaving chunks.
4. Cover the bowl and let it sit for 5 min.
5. After 5 min, mix the chocolate and malai and bring it together as chocolate ganache.
6. Now in a bowl, take powdered sugar and curd. Mix both nicely. Sugar must dissolve completely. If powdered sugar is not available just crush normal sugar in a mixer grinder and make powdered sugar.
7. Add the vanilla essence.
8. Now add the chocolate ganache we made earlier and mix everything together
9. Keep a sieve on the bowl.
10. Add flour to it and sieve it on the chocolate mixture.
11. Add a pinch of baking powder. It is optional.
12. Mix everything together. You may add chopped nuts to it.
13. Grease a baking tin and pour the mixture to it.
14. Bake the batter at 185 degrees for 30 min and then at 230 degrees for 2 min.
15. Let it cool completely before cutting the pieces.
16. Serve and enjoy.