Butter cookies, also known as Danish Butter Cookies are very soft, crumbly and crispy. These are made from unleavened dough and are super easy to bake. Not to forget, absolutely yummylicious to eat. So, let’s get started!
The birth place of butter cookies is Denmark. From a small village of Denmark to all the places in the world, these butter cookies are remarkably famous. They are made with simple ingredients, yet have the most amazing taste. Popularly known as Blue tin cookies, these can be so easily made at home, that you will be greatly surprised.
These are unleavened cookies made of very simple ingredients, flour, sugar and butter. They are crisp from outside and just so crumbly because of the amount of butter in it. These cookies need to be chilled before baking. But its so much worth, investing time in baking these cookies, which is by the way only 20 min before baking. You are just going to love the simple and amazing flavour of these cookies.
Flavours of Butter Cookies
Butter cookies generally have no flavour other than Vanilla. Butter itself lends such a great flavour and taste to these butter cookies that they are simply awesome that way. But there are a few other interesting options you can try with this cookie.
One option of flavour that I have used in it, is elaichi (cardamom) powder. I haven’t added vanilla essence in these cookies for two reasons. One, I love adding elaichi flavour to most of my cookies. And the other reason is that I had finished up with the vanilla essence and because of this covid 19 situation, food or baking supplies are a little difficult to get, especially when we are just not moving out of our houses. Cardamom flavour goes great with it, and besides vanilla you should try adding this too.
Other options include almond flour and flavour. You can add almond flavour (essence) to get a nutty aroma and taste in these butter cookies.
You can also just dip them half in dark or white chocolate, once you have baked them. That way you can include a secondary flavour in these cookies other that the rich buttery flavour.
Important tips for Butter Cookies
There are a few points I would like to add here to let you bake these delicious butter cookies easily.
1.Butter – The main flavour of these cookies come from butter. So it is of utmost importance that you must use a good quality butter for making them. It is recommended to use unsalted butter. But I love the taste of salt in cookies, so I have used salted butter.
2. Flour – Another important ingredient here, is flour. Just as butter, a good quality flour is also essential to make good butter cookies. Now after adding flour to the creamed butter and sugar, you might feel that your dough is too loose or little stiff. In that case, please go ahead and add 1-2 tsp of extra flour or cold milk as required. The flour we use is always different and can absorb a little more or less liquid ingredients, and that’s absolutely OKAY!
3. Sugar – We have to cream together, butter and sugar for these butter cookies. Therefore you must take powdered sugar for making these cookies.
4. Other Ingredients – Other than the basic three ingredients, you can add a few small ingredients just to add to the flavour and texture of these cookies.
Vanilla Essence / Cardamom Powder/ Almond flavour
Corn Flour for some extra crispness
So you see, this cookie recipe is basically Three Ingredients Cookie only. No baking soda or baking powder, no eggs, no other fancy ingredients, Lot of options for variety in flaovurs; isn’t it just great!
This is a delicious, mouth melting cookie. No cookie recipe can get this easy and simple.
Some other interesting recipes from my blog;
- Eggless Chocolate Brownie
- Karachi Biscuits (tutty-frutty cookies)
- Chocolate Cookies (without oven)
- Chocolate chiffon cake
- Red Velvet Cake with Home made cream cheese frosting
- Strawberry Ice cream
Butter Cookies Recipe Video
- Butter – 100 gm (room temperature)
- Refined flour – 2 tbsp less than 1 cup
- Sugar – 5 tbsp (powdered)
- Corn flour – 2 tbsp
- Elaichi (cardamom) powder – 1/2 tsp
NOTE : With this much flour you will be able to make about 18-20 cookies.
1.Take room temperature butter and whip it up a little with an electric beater or hand mixer. You can also use hand whisk to whip the butter.
2. Add powdered sugar and now, cream butter and sugar until light, pale and fluffy.
3. Once the butter and sugar are creamed, add in the flour, corn flour and cardamom powder. Mix a little and then whip everything together until well combined.
4. Take out the butter cookie dough in a piping bag with star nozzle. I have used 1M nozzle here. It is okay if you don’t have piping bag and nozzles. You can make round butter cookies with hand and put some design with a fork. Watch the video to see how I have made the design.
5. Now, pipe out some beautiful rosettes from the cookies dough on a parchment paper. As mentioned above you can make any other design too. You may also sprinkle some sugar on cookies (optional).
6. Put these piped cookies in refrigerator for about 15 min to chill.
7. Once chilled, bake them in a pre-heated oven at 170 degrees Celsius for about 16-18 min. Time of baking might vary a little because of your oven settings. I baked them in microwave convection mode and they got done in 17 min. The cookies should be brown from the edges with the center still a little soft which means they are done. You should never bake them to get completely hard in the oven or else when you’ll take them out, they will be too hard to chew.
8. Enjoy the butter cookies with your evening tea or just as a snack. Do remember to store them in an air-tight jar.
I would love to hear from you if try out these cookies. Do mention it in my comments section how you liked them. That would help the other readers to understand these cookies better.
You can follow me on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Mix to get my blog updates regularly. You can also SUBSCRIBE to my blog to get the new recipes directly in your inbox, “from my palate to yours”.