Chocolate cookies are such a comfort food for me. Rather I think, chocolate itself is so comforting that whatever its added to , it creates magic in it. The silky texture, the shine of chocolate, that yummmm taste of bitter yet sweet…It surely is, heaven on earth, food. And this chocolate cookies recipe is the easiest recipe of a cookie that you would have ever come across. I promise, it’s simple and easy recipe.
My home is essentially a sweeeeeet home. I mean literally…. both my kids and I are a great fan of, all things sweet and nice and cookies and cakes top the chart for us. Almost every other day we are just baking something or the other. The aroma of the baked flour and chocolate, resonates so much with me and my home. Well, if baking cookies are as easy as in this chocolate cookie recipe, then who wouldn’t bake them so often!!
And I bet, you’ll forget the taste of your favorite bakery cookies!!
This chocolate cookies recipe is,
- Eggless recipe
- No baking powder needed
- No baking soda needed
- baked in kadai
- yields crispy cookies
- easy cookies recipe
- requires basic ingredients only
- Not very technical
Can it get any better? It’s so simple that even your kids can bake these. Just follow the simple steps to bake these chocolate cookies and you’ll have a great fun time with your kids.
Steps in baking Chocolate cookies
The basic steps of baking any type of cookies is ;
1. Creaming – Now this is an important step. Creaming the butter and sugar makes or mars the cookies. It is very important for the butter to be at the room temperature, soft texture for creaming. The sugar we generally use is powdered, as it allows the sugar to be absorbed easily and quickly in the butter and helps in getting that light and fluffy texture of the butter, which is required to make the cookies light.
2. Adding the flour – Adding the flour in right way is also important. Its nothing technical here. you just have to be careful enough, not to add the flour all at once. The flour is always sieved and not just dumped in the creamed butter. Sieving helps the flour to be light and thus it gets incorporated well in the butter, without forming lumps.
3. No kneading – Yes, that’s right! The cookie dough is never kneaded. Its always ” just brought together”. Especially, in this chocolate cookies recipe, where I like to keep the edges of the cookies rustic and not smooth like biscuits; its important not to knead the dough.
4. Refrigerating – This depends upon the cookies recipe that you are following. These chocolate cookies, do not need refrigeration before baking. This, as I keep saying is totally no fuss, the easiest ever chocolate cookies recipe. It takes very less time, from mixing the ingredients and baking the cookies. The only waiting time is, when cookies are cooling.
5. Cooling – No points for guessing. Yes, cookies and almost all the cookies need their cooling off time, outside the oven and till the time they cool off at the room temperature, why don’t you just go and make yourself a cup of hot coffee or masala tea!!
Other Interesting Recipes
- Karachi Biscuits
- Eggless Brownie
- Chocolate ganache Recipe. Secrets of Best ganache/5 mins
- How to use Chocolate ganache, three ways, Ultimate baker’s guide
- Cookie recipes . Biscuit with Tutti frutti, Snacks for kids ( Tips that will make you a baking Whiz)
Chocolate cookies recipe video
- Maida (refined flour) – 1 cup
- Cocoa powder – 1/4 cup (1/3 if you like it more chocolatey)
- Butter – 100 gm (salted,soft, at room temperature)
- Sugar – 1/2 cup, powdered
- cold Milk – as required
- Gems – for decoration
1. Take the butter in a bowl. It should be soft and at the room temperature. You just need to keep it out of the fridge for about an hour or two, before you start making the chocolate cookies.
2. Beat the butter, using an electric beater. No, it’s not a necessity and you can do it with a balloon whisk also. The electric beater just makes the beating process faster and easier. Start with a low speed and then gradually increase the speed to high. In between, do keep scraping the butter from the sides of the bowl.
3. Once the butter, has changed its color and become a little lighter in texture too, add in the powdered sugar. Initially, mix it with butter, using a spatula or spoon, whatever is comfortable to you. Later on, use the beater or whisk, whatever you’re comfortable with for mixing the butter and sugar, really nicely. The butter and sugar should become more light in color, fluffy, light and airy.
4. Now, using a sieve, directly on the bowl, sieve together the flour and the cocoa powder. This will help you to keep the dough light and avoid any lumps.
5. Mix the flour and cocoa powder in the butter and sugar, using a spatula initially. Later mix them together , using your hands.
6. Just bring the dough together. Do not knead the dough. You may use a little cold milk, at a time, if required. I like the chocolate cookies to be a little rustic in shape and appearance, so i keep the dough a little dry or crumbly sort of. But if you want smooth edges, just go on and add 1 or 2 tsp of cold milk and smoothen the dough further. But be very careful because adding a lot of milk, might make the dough loose and the cookies will be difficult to shape.
7. Now, take a small portion of the dough in your hands and roll them into round shape cookies. Add a gems on the top just for some fun for kids. This is totally optional. You can even add some choco chips on top or nothing at all.
8. Now, I baked these cookies in two different ways. The black tray cookies went in the microwave and were baked at 185 degrees pre-heated, convection mode. it took them around 18-20 min. The cookies in round tin, were baked on the gas stove, in a kadai or wok. They took around 22-24 min to bake. The time may vary a little, according to your baking tins.
9. For baking in kadai or wok, keep a kadai on gas stove, in medium high flame and cover and let it heat up for about 5 min. This is pre-heating. Now, keep a stand inside the kadai. The idea here is to keep the baking tin or plate elevated inside the kadai. You may use any other small utensil, which can withstand the heat for long time. I have also used small stainless steel bowls (katoris) at times. Keep the chocolate cookies tin on the stand and cover and cook on low flame for the time mentioned above. Do not remove the cover of the kadai very often. It will release the heat generated inside the kadai , and will affect the baking of the chocolate cookies. Also, it’s important to use a heavy bottom kadai. You can also use a cooker in place of kadai. In that case, just remove the whistle of the cooker lid while baking.
10. Once done, let the cookies cool off on their own at the room temperature. I generally transfer them to a cooling rack after 5 min of cooling in the tin, outside the oven. If you do not have a cooling rack, just transfer the cookies from the hot baking trays after 5 min to another tray or plate.
11. Enjoy the super crunchy chocolate cookies.
Do write to me about your experiences while baking these chocolate cookies. Also let me know if you face any difficulty in this chocolate cookies recipe. I will try my best to reply with a positive solution. You never know, what all jugaads you can do in the kitchen, until you do them!! 😉