Table of Contents
These eggless Cinnamon rolls are light, fluffy, glazed with sugar and flavoured with cinnamon. These are a great accompaniment with coffee and tea and are also known as breakfast sweet rolls.
Cinnamon Rolls are a kind of sweet bread filled with cinnamon and sugar. Mornings can’t get any better with these cinnamon rolls and a cup of hot steaming coffee.
What are Cinnamon Rolls?
Cinnamon rolls are made with leavened dough. Although generally leavened with yeast, they can also be made using baking soda, baking powder and eggs. Here, I am sharing a classic eggless Cinnamon rolls recipe.
Once the dough is leavened, it is then filled with a mix of cinnamon powder and sugar and before the filling goes in, it is layered with butter. I am sure you can already smell how delicious these rolls are and if you have never made them, now is the right time to try these out. You’ll fall in love with these, lip-smacking awesome rolls! (That’s how my elder one describes them).
What goes in Eggless Cinnamon Rolls?
I have made these eggless Cinnamon Rolls, with simple and easily available ingredients.
They basically contain flour, butter, yeast and the filling of cinnamon and sugar. That’s it!
Flour – I have used All Purpose Flour for these eggless cinnamon rolls. You can also use self raising flour but that’s not necessary. A plain refined or all purpose flour is good enough for these rolls. I would also not recommend adding any improvisers or vital gluten because first it is not required at all and second while making them at home for my family and I would like to keep it simple and comparatively healthy than as available in market.
Butter – I always like a hint of salt in my sweet dishes so I like using butter with pre-added salt. If you wish you can use butter without salt. Butter used in each step should be at room temperature. Not melting, just soft and easily spreadable.
Cinnamon Powder – I have made cinnamon powder at home by grinding the cinnamon sticks and then sieving it. You can use store bought cinnamon powder too.
Sugar – Sugar used for filling in these eggless cinnamon rolls is plain white sugar. You can use brown sugar in place of white sugar and a mix of white and brown sugar, is also fine.
Important Tips for Eggless Cinnamon Rolls
Eggless Cinnamon rolls are very easy to make. They do take some time which is required for the proofing of the dough but other than that it is a very simple recipe. The dough I have made is the one which I use for making pizzas also. You can check out the pizza dough recipe in my blog. This same dough I have also used for making Garlic Knots. Do check out these awesome recipes too.
Yeast – As in any bread recipe, it is very important to understand your yeast. I have used dry instant yeast in this recipe. You can use dry active yeast too. There’s a small calculation that you need to remember to convert the amount of dry active yeast in place of dry instant yeast.
1 tsp of dry instant yeast = 1.25 tsp of dry active yeast
Also, do take care that the yeast you are using is not dead. I always proof the yeast before I use it because it’s easier and economical to discard a yeast mix than the whole bread dough. Proof the yeast in luke warm water and use only if it gets activated nice and frothy.
Kneading – It is very important in any bread making. Even in this eggless cinnamon rolls recipe it is important to knead the dough right before the first proofing. In fact that is the only work you do in this whole recipe. Rest of it is easy and simple.
It is important that you knead the dough for a good about 15-20 min and no you can not skip this step in any way. If kneading by hand, do the stretch and pull method and knead very well before adding the butter. Please do not add any more flour in it because the bread dough should be sufficiently moist and it will be sticky in the beginning but later as you keep on kneading it , it will become less sticky and smooth dough.
If using hand mixer then knead for at least 12-15 min in total and for stand mixer, kneading can be easily done in 10-12 min.
Proofing – The proofing of the dough for these eggless cinnamon rolls, depends on the place you live in and the weather conditions too. If it is warm enough in your place, then the first proofing should take somewhere between 45 min to 1 & 1/2 hour. You should check and whenever your dough is double in size then its ready to work upon it, before second proofing.
Some other interesting recipes form my YouTube channel and blog;
- Eggless Whole wheat chocolate cake with condensed milk buttercream frosting
- Chiffon Cakes (Light and perfect for cake base)
- Eggless Mango Cake
- Best White Bread recipe
- 100% Wholewheat Bread
- Ladi Pav (soft and easy recipe)
Baking Without Oven
Baking without oven is quite easy and simple. You don’t need a lot of utensils for it and anything can be baked using this method. You need a source of direct heat for ovenless baking. Gas stove, hot plate or even a traditional chulha can be used for baking anything.
The most important thing to keep in mind for baking without oven and over direct heat is that the heat should not come in direct contact with the baking vessel. For this, we can keep baking tin inside a kadai (wok or pan), tawa (griddle ) or even in a pressure cooker (take out its whistle).
Baking on a gas stove takes more time than it would take in an oven. Also the dish baked on gas stove doesn’t get much browning from the top side.
Recipe Video of Eggless Cinnamon Rolls
For the dough
- Water – 1 cup (luke warm)
- Sugar – 1.5 tbsp
- Dry Instant Yeast – 1 tsp
- Refined Flour ( APF ) – 3 cups
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Butter – 2 tbsp (at room temperature, soft)
- White sugar – 1/2 cup (can replace with equal quantity brown sugar)
- Cinnamon Powder – 1.25 tbsp (take more if you like a very strong cinnamon flavour)
- Butter – 40 – 50 gm ( soft)
1.Take 1 cup luke warm water, add sugar and yeast in it. Mix well, cover and keep aside for about 10 min.
2. After 10 min add flour and salt to the frothy yeast mix. Take care that the salt should not come in direct contact of the yeast mix when you add it.
3. Mix salt with the flour and then mix the flour and yeast mix as much as you can with a spoon or spatula. Watch the video for a better understanding of this step.
4. Now start kneading the dough with the hand mixer. If using hands, please refer to the important tips section above. After about 7-8 min of kneading add the butter.
5. Mix well and knead again for about 7-8 min. By now the dough will start leaving the sides of the bowl.
6. Take it out on a clean floured surface and shape into a ball. Put it in a greased bowl and cover.
7. Keep the bowl in a warm place for about an hour or until the dough doubles up in size.
8. When the dough is doubled up, punch it down to degas it and knead for a minute in the bowl.
9. Then take it out on a clean floured surface and roll out in a big rectangle shape. I rolled it about 18″ x 10″ big.
10. Now spread the soft butter all over on this sheet.
11. Put the cinnamon and sugar mix and spread evenly.
12. Roll it carefully but firmly and seal the edges. (do watch video to check out this step)
13. Mark the roll for even cutting . Use a thread and cut the rolls.
14. Keep them in a greased baking tin. I have put some in the small round tin for baking on the gas stove in a kadai (wok).
15. Cover these eggless cinnamon rolls and keep aside till they rise again to double the size.
16. After about 20 min the rolls will double up.
17. The big baking tray rolls will be baked in the pre-heated microwave convection oven at 185 °C for about 20-25 min or until done. The time varies as per your oven settings.
18. For the small tin, I have kept a kadai (wok) on the gas stove with flame on high for 5 min. After 5 min, keep a stand in the kadai and put the baking tin on the stand. Cover the kadai and bake on low flame for 30-35 min or until done. The top of the cinnamon rolls baked in kadai will not brown much.
19. Now glaze the hot eggless cinnamon rolls with some butter and condensed milk. You can enjoy them with any frosting you like or even without any frosting. They are a treat just as is! For some other frosting recipes do check out my blog.
I would love to hear from you if you try out these eggless cinnamon rolls. Do mention it in my comments section how you liked it or if you made any changes in it. Also if you make this and share on social networking sites, remember to add #flavourhomebysutiksha and tag me there, so that even I can appreciate your efforts.
You can follow me on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Mix to get my blog updates regularly. You can also SUBSCRIBE to my blog to get the new recipes directly in your inbox, “from my palate to yours”.