Table of Contents
Red Velvet cake with cream cheese frosting is one of the best combinations of a cake. The cake is silky smooth, with a great mix of flavors and a smooth velvety cream cheese frosting.
I came across a red velvet cake, when I was still doing my experiments for trying out good eggless cake recipes. That was a few years ago. The first look at this cake and I thought,” Oh, it can’t be made egg less! I shouldn’t probably think much about it”. Well, I proved myself wrong! Yes, It is, one very smooth textured cake, which can definitely be made eggless and that too with the best of flavors. No compromise on that, you see!
What is the taste of Red Velvet Cake?
I know, seeing that super rich red color of red velvet cake makes one think, ” What does it taste like?” Believe me, that’s what even I always thought, until I tasted it. And once you taste it, it’s going to be your favorite. It is not just a red colored plain cake. It’s a melody of flavors, all at once bursting in your mouth. The texture of the red velvet cake is super moist and silky. It has a hint of chocolate, the freshness of vanilla, a little sourness from the buttermilk or sometimes the vinegar and the sweetness of utterly delicious homemade cream cheese.
This moist, dense and ‘oh, so velvety cake’ is worth drooling about. I can simply write so much about the taste, texture and the grand looks of a red velvet cake, and still won’t come close enough to even describe it properly. You have got to make and taste it, to believe it.
This red velvet cake recipe is an easy one. It is off course eggless and also a one pot cake recipe. Nothing fancy about the procedure too. Too simple, yet it yields the best cake. And to think of that I made it in a cooker, wow!!
And the frosting is heavenly. Do believe me when I say this. The smooth texture of this home made cream cheese is to die for. A “match made in heaven” type of combo. Though you can try other frostings too with this red velvet cake but I strongly suggest, you should rather go ahead with a cream cheese frosting only. So, go get you apron and just try it out. You can thank me later!! 😉
Important points for Red Velvet Cake
This cake recipe is no doubt very easy and has no fancy frills to it but just a few things are there, that you should take care of.
1.Flour – I have used refined flour in this recipe. That definitely gives out the best result. But if you wish, you can go ahead with the whole wheat flour too. But do keep in mind, that the taste will change a lot with it. I personally feel it’s okay to bake a cake with refined flour when you are making such a grand cake. So, it’s refined flour for me.
2. Sugar – Sugar, as always should be used in powdered form. That just helps to dissolve it quicker in the batter.
3. Cocoa Powder – Do use a good quality cocoa powder. That makes a great difference in any cake that has to have chocolate flavor.
4. Buttermilk – Buttermilk is an important ingredient in this cake recipe. It can not be replaced. It is an eggless cake recipe, so we do need buttermilk to give a light and fluffy texture to our cake. If you do not have buttermilk at home, then just mix 1 tsp lemon juice to a cup of milk at room temperature and let it sit for 5-8 min. The buttermilk is ready to use.
5. Butter – The butter used in this recipe, is soft and at room temperature.
6. Oil – I have used normal cooking oil in this recipe. You can replace it with olive oil, if you wish to.
7. Dry Ingredients – All dry ingredients of this red velvet cake should be sieved together for ensuring that there are no lumps in them.
8. Wet Ingredients – All the wet ingredients should be at the room temperature. This will ensure proper mixing of the ingredients with out any extra effort required.
9. Mixing – This is an eggless cake recipe and for any eggless cake recipe, you should never beat the batter after dry and wet ingredients have been mixed together. If we beat it too much, then all the air incorporated in the batter is released and the cake doesn’t rise well.
Cream Cheese Frosting
This is the best ever frosting. It goes very well with a red velvet cake. The cream cheese that I have used in this recipe is homemade. If you need its recipe, do write to me in the comments section. I would be glad to share its recipe with you all.
Happy to update here, that on your demand I have shared the homemade cream cheese recipe on my blog.
- This cream cheese is undeniably creamy. It is just melt in mouth with a perfect smoothness.
- It is made with whipped cream, so its very light and fluffy.
- I have added just enough sugar for sweetness, but if you like it to be very sweet, then go ahead, and just add in a little more sugar.
- It is a great frosting for piping. Even in a hot and humid weather here, that we have these days, it holds good shape for long.
Some other interesting recipes;
- Eggless Wholewheat Cake Recipe
- Mango Cake Recipe
- Eggless Chocolate Brownie Recipe
- Chocolate Sponge Cake Recipe
- Easy Dessert Recipe (Gateau)
- Chocolate Ganache Recipe
- Homemade Cream Cheese Recipe
1.Cake – You can bake the cake one day in advance. If you bake it a day prior then after baking, let it cool on its own at room temperature and then wrap it in a cling foil and keep it in the fridge. I prefer to do it this way, when I have to frost the cakes, as it allows the cake to set properly before it is layered and frosted.
2. Color – I know, adding the colors in cakes and foods that we make, is not very comfortable for many. And especially in this red velvet cake the red color you add is quite a lot. It is required also to get that perfect red color of the cake. But if adding the color bothers you a lot, then for natural red color in your cake you can add dried beetroot powder. It will give you some red color but not such a dark shade like the food color red. Make your choice!
3. Frosting – After you have frosted the cake, you can keep it in the fridge for setting it. I prefer to do frosting the same day that we have to cut the cake but I also keep it in the fridge for an hour or so, before cutting it. That way the frosting is well set and the cake slices come neat. Also, if you have to store the frosting you can easily do that by keeping it in the fridge covered with a cling foil. You can even freeze it for later use. If you choose to freeze it, just take it out and let it thaw a little before you use it.
4. Vanilla Essence – In the frosting, I have not added vanilla essence, as the cream cheese I have used is homemade and I already flavored it with vanilla essence. But if you use any plain flavor cream cheese, do add in 1 tsp of vanilla essence in the frosting.
5. Baking in Cooker – I have baked this cake in a pressure cooker on gas top. If you wish to bake it in an oven, put it in a pre-heated oven at 185 degrees for about 30-40 min or until done.
Recipe Video of Red Velvet Cake
For Red Velvet Cake
- Refined flour – 1 & 1/4 cup
- Baking powder – 3/4 tsp
- Baking soda – 1/2 tsp
- Powdered sugar – 3/4 cup
- Cocoa powder – 1 tbsp
- Oil – 1/4 cup
- Butter – 2tbsp
- Buttermilk (lassi) – 1 cup
- Vanilla Essence – 1 tsp
- Red Food Color – 1 tsp (or as required)
For Cream Cheese Frosting
- Whipping cream – 1 cup
- Cream Cheese – 1/2 cup
- Powdered sugar – 1/2 cup
For sugar syrup
- Sugar – 2 tbsp (increase the sugar as per your choice for sweetness)
- Water – 4 tbsp
1.Take all the dry ingredients ( refined flour, baking powder, baking soda, powdered sugar and cocoa powder) for red velvet cake. Mix them together and keep aside.
2. Take oil, butter, vanilla essence and buttermilk in a big bowl. Mix them all together.
3. Now sieve the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Mix everything nicely with cut and fold method. Take care that you do not over beat the cake batter.
4. Add the red food color in the cake batter. Initially add 1 tsp of the color, and if you feel that the color isn’t appropriately red, then do add a little more. The choice is totally yours.
5. Mix the color in the cake batter and prepare the batter for baking.
6. Grease a baking tin.
7. Pour the batter in the tin.
8. For baking cake in a cooker on gas top, keep a pressure cooker on gas and heat it on high flame for 5 min. Now put a stand in between.
9. Put the cake batter tin on the stand inside the cooker.
10. Close the lid of the pressure cooker and take out the whistle.
11. Bake the cake in it for about 30-35 min on low flame. Do not open the cooker for first 25 min for checking the cake. Doing this may result in a flat cake.
12. Once done, take out the cake and let it cool down on its own at room temperature.
13. You can check above in notes section, how to store cake.
14. For preparing the frosting, take the whipping cream in a bowl.
15. I kept the whipping cream outside the freezer before I had to whip it. Also the bowl and the blender attachments for whipping were kept in freezer for about 25 min before I start whipping.
16. Now whip the cream to stiff peaks. I have not added any sugar in whipping cream as the cream I use is already sweet.
17. Take the cream cheese in another bowl. Soften it using a spoon.
18. Add powdered sugar and mix it using spoon, initially. Later using the hand blender beat it for 2-3 min, just to make it smooth and lump-free.
19. Take about 3-4 tbsp whipped cream and add it in the bowl of cream cheese. Mix it nicely.
20. Now add this cream cheese mixture into the bowl of whipped cream. Fold them together nicely but lightly.
21. The cream cheese frosting is ready and can be kept in fridge for sometime. It will just help it to set nicely before you pipe it out.
22. Now take the cake and cut out the dome of the cake. This extra cake portion will be used later.
23. Layer the cake into two or three layers as you wish. I made two layers.
24. Now, put some frosting on the cake board, and place the first layer.
25. Moist the cake layer with the sugar syrup.
26. Place some frosting on the cake layer and spread it out evenly. You can choose to add in as much frosting as you want, depending upon how thick you want this frosting layer to be.
27. Now place the second layer of the cake.
28. Moist it with the sugar syrup.
29. Place more frosting on the cake and spread it evenly to cover the cake completely. After this step you can keep the cake in the fridge for an hour or two. This will help the frosting to set. Now if you want, you can put another layer of the frosting after this crumb coat or you may decorate it after this only.
30. I have decorated the cake after the crumb coat (the first layer of the frosting) only.
31. Take the extra piece of cake and crumble it. Use these cake crumbs to decorate the cake, as in the picture.
32. Now put the frosting in the piping bag with your preferred nozzle. Pipe out some decorations on the cake.
33. You can add some crumbs on the cake top too. This combo of red and white decoration is heavenly and looks so divine.
34. Now cut the cake and enjoy your special occasion.