Fafda is a Gujrati snack. It is from the famous snack combo of Fafda-Jalebi.
Fafda is a crunchy, crispy and a delectable street snack of Gujarat state of India. It is made with besan (chick pea flour) and some spices. It can be prepared easily with a simple technique. In this blog, I will share with you the correct technique and the easy recipe of this amazing snack.
Why this snack…Fafda!
My elder son and I, are a big fan of the tele series Tarak Mehta Ka Oolta Chashma. And no points for guessing, why I made fafda at home.
I feel silly but yes, it is true indeed. Jethalal, The main character of the tele series, TMKOC, loves eating this snack in combination with Jalebi. And as we had never tasted fafda before this, we wanted to at least taste it to know why it is such a favorite of Jethalal. After making it once, we have been making it regularly at our home. And believe me, it is a heavenly combo. You can find an easy Instant Jalebi recipe on my blog for a quick Sunday breakfast of Fafda-Jalebi.
Important Points for Fafda
1.Besan (chickpea flour) – Get a good quality besan. It makes the final outcome very crunchy and good. A smooth besan also helps in shaping the fafda nicely.
2. Salt – Add salt as per your taste.
3. Ajwain (Carom seeds)– Carom seeds are added in fafda to get a wonderful taste. Also, as these seeds have some medicinal properties, it is great to add it in this snack.
4. Oil – For kneading a smooth dough of fafda, we will add oil to it. The quantity of adding oil may vary a little as per the quality of the besan (chick pea flour).
5. Resting the dough – It is important to rest the dough after initial kneading. It lets the dough settle and then get to a proper texture.
6. Technique – The technique of shaping fafda is important but very easy. You need to get the hang of it once, and then its an easy peasy and yummy snack that can be made quickly. Do check out the video for learning this technique correctly.
Some other interesting recipes from my blog and YouTube channel;
Recipe Video of Fafda
I have made a quick video of this Fafda, for a better understanding of the recipe. You can take a look and check all the important steps in few minutes. Do Subscribe my YouTube channel “flavourhome by Sutiksha” to get instant recipe updates, as soon as I upload them. Also if you like these videos, kindly like and share them with your family and friends.
- Besan (chick pea flour) – 2 cup
- Baking Soda – 1/2 tsp
- Ajwain (carom seeds) – 1 tsp
- Salt as per taste
- Oil – 4 tbsp + for frying
- Water as required
1.Take besan (chick pea flour), baking soda, ajwain (carom seeds), salt and oil in a big bowl or plate. Mix everything and rub oil nicely.
2. Adding very little water, knead a dough with these ingredients. The dough should not be very loose or very hard. Do check the video of the recipe for the correct dough texture. Let it rest for about 20-25 minutes and knead again. The dough will become little soft now.
3. Now take a small ball of the dough and roll it little long. Keep it on a flat board or clean kitchen top, and push it out holding it from one end. Scrape it out with the help of a knife and deep fry them in hot oil. Enjoy these fafda with some besan chutney and fried green chillies, or make a combo of fafda and Jalebi.
I would love to hear from you if you try this recipe of Fafda. Do mention it in my comments section how you liked it or if you added some more spices in it. Also if you make this and share on social networking sites, remember to add #flavourhomebysutiksha and tag me there. I would be glad to see and appreciate your efforts.
You can follow me on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Mix to get my blog updates regularly. You can also SUBSCRIBE to my blog to get the new recipes directly in your inbox, “from my palate to yours”.