Table of Contents
This eggless whole wheat Chocolate cake recipe with very easy condensed milk chocolate buttercream frosting is a very easy and healthy cake recipe.
I love baking and mostly I bake for my family and friends and this lock down because we could not go out very often, I have been baking more than usual.
Now, that I am baking almost every other day, I had started getting worried about the health of my kids and family. I really wanted to give them some yummy stuff to eat but I also don’t want to compromise on their health.
So, finally I have come up with this whole wheat chocolate cake recipe that includes all the healthy ingredients. This cake recipe is eggless, it has whole wheat flour, it has a wonderful flavour of chocolate and I have made a really very easy and super delicious frosting to go with it. I am so sure that you are going to love this recipe and you will keep it with you forever.
Important tips for Whole Wheat Chocolate Cake
This whole wheat chocolate cake is eggless and is made with the everyday ingredients of your kitchen, which are so easily available. There are just a few things that I would like to highlight before I begin with the ingredients list and the recipe.
Whole Wheat Flour – The whole wheat flour that you should use for this recipe should be of good quality. Please keep in mind that the quality of flower is directly going to impact the flavour of your cake. Also it is very important to understand that a major difference between a refined flour cake and whole wheat flour cake is in the particular taste of the whole wheat flour in those cakes. You can minimise the taste of whole wheat in the cakes by adding certain flavours, but you will still get it in the final product.
Jaggery – This healthy cake recipe is made with jaggery. In this cake we are replacing sugar with the healthy alternative of jaggery. You can also take any other form of healthy sweetener like the locally made sugar without any preservatives which is also known as khandsari sugar or organic sugar. Please note that when we replace sugar with jaggery, I prefer to take equal amount of jaggery knowing very well that it will not give the same amount of sweetness to my cakes. I Am totally fine with little less sweetness in my cakes. If you want them very sweet then you can increase the quantity of jaggery mentioned in this recipe, max by 1/ 4 cup.
Fat – to get a perfect moist cake we need to add certain amount of fat in our cake batter. For this healthy cake, I am choosing homemade clarified butter also known as desi ghee. You can replace it with olive oil or butter as well.
Eggless Cake– This whole wheat chocolate cake recipe is eggless and to replace the eggs, I have used buttermilk in this recipe.
Temperature of Ingredients – It is very important to note that the temperature of all the ingredients that you are going to use in this recipe should be same. They all should be at the room temperature before you start using them in the recipe; neither hot nor cold.
Beating or mixing the Batter – In any eggless cake recipe, it is very important to note that we never… never beat the batter after we have added the leavening agents, that is, baking powder and baking soda. For cakes that use egg, beating is very important because it incorporates air in the batter and helps to make it light.
But for eggless cakes, we beat the wet ingredients before adding any leavening agent. In fact, at that time you can really beat it well and mix everything nicely, so that there are no granules of sugar or jaggery, whatever you are using. But after you have added the dry ingredients, which is mostly the flour and the leavening agents, you do not beat the batter. You just have to use cut and fold method and mix everything nicely. The ingredients should be mixed and no dry flour should be left in the batter.
Over mixing of batter in any eggless cake, will lead to a totally flat cake after baking. So please keep in mind, no beating of the batter…only folding!
Baking in Oven or on Gas top – You can very easily bake this cake in an oven or on a gas top. I have baked it on a gas top in a kadai. If you want to see the procedure of how to bake a cake in a Kadai on gas top, please read the recipe article of Chocolate cookies from my blog. Alternatively, you can also bake it in an oven. The timing and temperature, I have mentioned in the method section below.
Some other interesting recipes from my blog and YouTube channel;
- Whole wheat tutty frutty biscuits
- Eggless Mango Cake
- Nankhatai (Indian Cookies)
- Dhokla (soft and spongy, without curd)
- Paneer Malai Korma
- Garlic Naan
- Strawberry Icecream
Recipe Video of Whole wheat Chocolate cake
For condensed milk chocolate buttercream frosting
- Unsalted Butter – 200 gms (soft but cold, it should not be melting)
- Condensed Milk – 200 ml
- Dark Chocolate – 1/2 cup (melted but not hot)
For whole wheat chocolate cake
- Jaggery – 3 / 4 cup, grated
- Lassi or buttermilk – 3/4 cup
- Homemade clarified butter or ghee – 2 tbsp
- Vanilla essence – 1/2 tsp
- Whole wheat flour – 1 and 1/4 cup
- Cocoa powder – 1/4 cup
- Baking powder – 3/4 tsp
- Baking soda – 2/3 tsp
- Oil or ghee for greasing the baking tin
- water – as reqd
1.For condensed milk chocolate buttercream frosting, take 200 gm butter. It should be soft but still cold and not in melting state. beat this till light and pale in color, to a smooth consistency.
2. Add 200 ml condensed milk and beat for a minute or so, just to mix butter and condensed milk together.
3. Now, add 1/2 cup melted dark chocolate. It should not be hot. mix everything until light and creamy. Chocolate buttercream is ready. Cover and keep it in fridge until required. Take it out of fridge, 30 min before you need it.
4. For whole wheat chocolate cake, take grated jaggery and buttermilk in a bowl. Mix them really well.
5. Add vanilla essence and ghee. Mix nicely.
6. Sieve together, whole wheat flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda in wet ingredients.
7. Fold the dry ingredients in to the wet ingredients nicely. Make a smooth batter without over-mixing. You can use some water if required to make the batter smooth. Please check the batter consistency in the recipe video.
8. Pour the batter in a greased baking tin. I have used 8 by 2 inches round tin.
9. Bake the whole wheat chocolate cake in a pre-heated oven at 185 degree Celsius for about 30-40 min or until done. The timing might vary as per your oven settings and baking tin. Alternatively you can bake the cake on Gas stove too.
10. Once baked, let the cake cool down for about 5 min in the baking tin. Then unmould it from the tin and keep it on a wire rack to let it cool down completely.
11. Now for frosting, I have trimmed the sides and top of the cake. To give it a rectangle shape, I have cut it from the center. You can layer the cake in round shape too.
12. Place one layer on a plate and spread chocolate buttercream frosting on it. Pour some chocolate ganache for extra flavour of chocolate. This is totally an optional step. You can check out the chocolate ganache recipe in my blog.
13. Put the second layer of cake on top and spread more chocolate buttercream frosting. Spread it evenly. You can also cover the sides of your cake, if you wish to.
14. Make some design on the cake as shown in the video, and your delicious cake is ready to be devoured.
I would love to hear from you if you try this healthy, whole wheat chocolate recipe. Do mention it in my comments section how you liked it or if you made any changes in it. Also if you make this and share on social networking sites, remember to add #flavourhomebysutiksha and tag me there, so that even I can appreciate your efforts.
You can follow me on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Mix to get my blog updates regularly. You can also SUBSCRIBE to my blog to get the new recipes directly in your inbox, “from my palate to yours”.