Table of Contents
Whole Wheat Plum Cake | Eggless Cake , this cake is everything that you would want your Plum Cake to taste like and it’s eggless and is made with whole wheat flour. What could be better!
I have recently uploaded an Eggless Christmas Cake recipe. That cake was made with milk and normal refined flour. This is a different version of Plum Cake. I tried it out with whole wheat flour and condensed milk. It came out great, so I had to share it with you all.
Celebrations are all about sharing the love and spreading the cheer around us. This Plum Cake will just add to your festivities and the flavour of your celebration spread. I could never imagine making a Plum cake this easily.
This Whole wheat Plum Cake is ;
✓ Loaded with dried fruits and nuts
✓ made with whole wheat flour
✓ a one-pot recipe
✓ and totally droolworthy
Important Points For Whole Wheat Plum Cake
This plum cake is quite easy and simple to bake. Here I am sharing important tips and a lot of other options for the ingredients which go into it.
1.Molasses – Molasses or dark caramel or black jack, is an important ingredient of any plum cake. This can not be avoided or replaced with any other thing. Either you get it from the market or you can easily make it at home. For making it at home the complete method is given below and in the video also. Please go through the video to make it correctly. Also, be very careful when you make this black caramel at home as it would be very hot to handle. Use only deep bottom pan to make it. If the molasses turns hard at any point of cooking it or after making it. Do not worry at all. You can add some hot water in it and rescue your molasses anytime.
2. Soaking Dried Fruits – For this whole wheat plum cake, I have soaked the dried fruits in orange juice for about 24 hours. There is an alternate method to do this soaking quickly. Heat up the juice and cook these dried fruits in the juice for about 3-5 minutes on medium flame. Then simmer for 2-3 minutes and leave until cool. The dried fruits will be soaked up nice and proper, within no time. You can also choose not to soak up the dried fruits. The cake will come out just fine but I would highly recommend to soak them, whichever way you like. Once they are soaked, drain the excess juice , if any. Use that juice for correcting the batter consistency in the end.
3. Variety of Dried Fruits – You can take dried fruits as per your choice. Raisins are a must (gold, black or red), other than that you can take dried cranberries, apricot, dates, blackberries, etc. If you do not get any of these, just add a good handful of raisins and tutti-frutti. Your plum cake will be nice and flavourful.
4. Dried Nuts – Dried nuts like, almonds, cashew nuts, walnuts, pecan nuts or even pistachio can be added to this plum cake. I have used chopped almonds, cashew nuts and walnuts. These nuts are not to be soaked. They are used just as they are, but chopped.
5. Whole wheat flour – I made this plum cake with whole wheat flour. You can easily replace it with refined flour if you wish. Just keep a check on the fruit juice added later on.
6. Condensed Milk – This recipe is eggless and hence I used condensed milk to make this cake. It is the best option for making any eggless cake. However, if you do not have condensed milk, you can use equal amount of thick curd (not hung curd) and sugar.
7. One – pot Recipe – This whole wheat plum cake recipe is a one – pot recipe. If you prepare molasses before hand and soak the dried fruits, then you basically need to throw everything in your bowl together, mix and bake the plum cake. This recipe is such a keeper!
8. Without Oven – I have made this whole wheat plum cake on Gas top and in oven too. Both ways it gives just amazing results. To know more about how to bake on Gas top, please check out my Chocolate Cookies recipe.
9. Feeding the Cake – Yes, you can feed this cake too. Feeding means basically, soaking the cake in alcohol or juices after they are baked. This process enhances the taste of the cake and makes it moist like anything. I use the left over juice after soaking to feed the cake. Just use a skewer or tooth-pick and poke the cake all over. Soak it with 3-4 tbsp of juice, cover with foil and leave like this for a day.
Some other interesting recipes from my blog and YouTube channel;
- Rasmalai Cake
- Fruit Gateau (dessert jar)
- Whole wheat flour Bread (Brown Bread)
- Chiffon Cake (Light and spongy cake base)
- Semolina Bread
- Pav (Dinner Bread)
Whole Wheat Plum Cake Recipe Video
I have made a quick video of this Whole wheat Plum Cake, for a better understanding of the recipe. You can take a look and check all the important steps in few minutes. Do Subscribe my YouTube channel “flavourhome by Sutiksha” to get instant recipe updates, as soon as I upload them. Also if you like these videos, kindly like and share them with your family and friends.
FOR SOAKING DRIED FRUITS
- Golden raisins, black raisins, dates, dried apricot, dried cranberries – 3 tbsp each
- Orange Juice as required
- sugar – 3 tbsp
- water – 3 tbsp
- Condensed Milk – 1/4 cup
- Oil – 1/4 cup
- Whole wheat Flour – 2/3 cup
- Baking Soda – 1/4 tsp
- Baking Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Cinnamon Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Cashew nuts – 7-8 pc (chopped)
- Almonds – 7-8 pc (chopped)
- Walnuts – 4-5 pc (chopped)
- Some nuts for decoration
- Orange juice as required
1.Making Molasses – Take sugar in a deep bottom pan and heat it on high flame. Do not stir the sugar. Let it melt. Stir occasionally to let all the sugar melt evenly. Once the sugar is melted, it starts to boil. Be careful as the melted sugar temperature will be very high. Lower the flame and let it boil until it reaches a dark color. Add water, little by little and stir quickly but carefully. Add all water and cook the syrup for about a minute or so, until it reaches a slightly thick consistency. Check out the correct consistency from the video above. Now, keep it aside and let it cool.
2. Soaking the Dried fruits – Chop the dried fruits and soak them in a bowl with orange juice. The juice should cover the dried fruits completely. Cover and soak for about 24 hours. For instant soaking of the dried fruits, cook them in the orange juice for 3-4 minutes on high and then simmer for a minute or two. Then let them cool completely. After the fruits are soaked, drain off the excess juice and keep it for adjusting the cake batter consistency.
3. Cake Batter – In a big bowl, add condensed milk, oil and 3 tbsp molasses. Mix well. Add soaked dried fruits, chopped nuts and 2 tbsp orange juice or left over juice from soaking. Mix everything. Add whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon powder. Mix and adjust the consistency of the batter, if required.
4. Baking – Pour the cake batter in a greased baking tin. You can also line the tin with parchment paper. Bake the cake in a pre-heated oven at 150 degree Celsius for about 45 min to 1 hour or even more, until the cake is baked nicely. The time might differ as per your oven settings. If you feel that your cake is browning too much from the top, you can cover it with an aluminium foil after about 30 minutes of baking. For baking on Gas top, the time will be about 1 hour to 1 hour 15 min. Again the time will depend more on your gas top flame and baking tins and utensils. Once done, let it cool and unmould from the tin.
NOTE : 1. To make this cake with eggs, replace condensed milk with 2 eggs and sugar
2. Do use parchment paper. It allows your cake to come out of the baking tin easily.
I would love to hear from you if you try this Whole Wheat Plum Cake. Do mention it in my comments section how you liked it or if you made any changes to it. Also if you bake this cake and share on social networking sites, remember to add #flavourhomebysutiksha and tag me there, so that even I can appreciate your efforts.
You can follow me on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Mix to get my blog updates regularly. You can also SUBSCRIBE to my blog to get the new recipes directly in your inbox, “from my palate to yours”.